The 2021 Diana Awards were held virtually on June 28th, honouring the memory of Diana, Princess of Wales and her belief that young people have the power to change the world. 400 young people from around the world were nominated this year for their efforts to selflessly create and maintain positive change. contributions on a global basis.
Peter Miller talked to three of this year’s Diana Award recipients on the Giveback Podcast.
Avery and her younger sister Rowan run a youth charity, The Maple Wishes Foundation, that serves as a platform for 11 amazing projects. Avery is in high school and Rowan is in middle school. These young women have a vision to create community and empower others!
Learn more about Avery, Rowan, and The Maple Wishes Foundation by:
- Listening to Peter’s conversation with Avery on the Giveback Podcast –> https://give-back-economy.pinecast.co/episode/96ffbe72/maple-wishes-foundation
- Visiting The Maple Wishes Foundation website –> https://maplewishes.org/
Pensylvania resident Neha Shukla Neha created the SixFeetApart device to help people effectively social distance, runs workshops about innovation for young people, and plans to write a book – and she’s just in high school!
You can find out more about Nehu by:
- Listening to her interview with Peter Miller on The Giveback Podcast —> https://give-back-economy.pinecast.co/episode/fa5d2dde/innovation-corner
- Visiting her website –> https://thesixfeetapart.weebly.com/
- Visiting her LinkedIn profile –> https://www.linkedin.com/in/neha-shukla-innovation/
Katelyn Wang is studies pathobiology and global health at the University of Toronto. She is also the Executive Director of L.I.G.H.T. (Lead, Inspire, Grow, Hope, Transform) , a youth-led design jam incubator for community projects. Katelyn would like to expand the L.I.G.H.T. model to other Ontario communities, then throughout Canada, then globally. Find out more about Katelyn and the L.I.G.H.T. team (made up mostly of high school youth leaders) by:
- Listening to her interview with Peter Miller on the Giveback Podcast –> https://give-back-economy.pinecast.co/episode/9f69c191/l-i-g-h-t-community-youth-leadership-creating-change
- Visiting the L.I.G.H.T. website –> https://www.lightcommunity.org/
It’s wonderful to talk to young people with such big hearts for strengthening their communities, and that organizations like The Diana Award are out there to support them in their work. Congratulations to all the Diana Award nominees and winners – keep up the great work!
You can learn more about the Diana Award by visiting the website at https://diana-award.org.uk/about/.
You can also watch this year’s Diana Award Ceremony at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwihxbOapJM&t=2495s.